Thursday 17 January 2013

A burning desire for cassoulet!




Okay confession time. I have this ......I think error is the best term to use. I have an inbuilt programming error that is so stupid and extreme it is amazing to me that I haven't been able to fix it. Here it is. I consistently burn my hand when baking casseroles. I do the same thing every time. I use oven gloves to remove the pot from the oven. Then remove the gloves and lift the 500F lid with my bare hands. EVERY SINGLE TIME! I have so many burn scars on my hands it's ridiculous. Last night it took a split second for my brain to register the burning sensation. I had that split second to wonder where the sizzling sound was coming from only to realize it was my hand becoming one with the pot. Most people keep ice in the fridge for their G&T, we keep it for casserole day!

Luckily, this casserole, or cassoulet as this particular dish is named, was so delicious I soon forgot the pain;)
Go ahead and use canned beans if you want, I happen to have dried in my pantry but use whatever is on hand at the time.

Vegetable Cassoulet adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly Vegie Food Cookbook
serves 4

1/2 cup (100g) dried borlotti beans
1/2 cup (100g) dried canellini beans
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 shallots (100g), halved
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
2 medium carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
200g mushrooms, halved
1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
2 medium zucchini (240g), chopped coarsely
1 1/2 cups (375ml) vegetable stock
1 can tomato paste
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme

BREAD TOPPING
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (80g), chopped finely
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 ciabatta (220g) diced into 2cm pieces
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Place beans in medium bowl, cover with water; stand overnight, drain. Rinse under cold water; drain. Place beans in medium saucepan of boiling water; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until beans are just tender.
Preheat oven to moderate 350F (180C).
Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish; cook shallot, garlic, carrot and mushroom, stirring, until vegetables are just tender. Add wine; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Add zucchini, stock, sauce, thyme and drained beans; return to a boil. Remove from heat; transfer to oven. Cook, covered, 50 minutes.
Meanwhile make bread topping.
Heat oil in large frying pan; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add zest, garlic, thyme and bread; cook, stirring, about 10 minutes or until bread browns lightly. Stir in parsley.
Sprinkle cassoulet with bread topping; cook, uncovered, in oven about 10 minutes or until bread topping is browned.




Any country bread would work here, I used a white Italian loaf, but a light whole wheat whole grain would also be a great topping.
Don't forget your oven gloves!

No comments:

Post a Comment