Sunday 16 December 2012

Baked Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers and Spinach







I can't believe we've been in our condo for a week already. We are slowly exploring our new neighbourhood and discovering exciting shops and interesting people everyday. We've had drinks, twice, with the lovely Eve from the floor below who I believe will have us pickled in no time. Thank goodness she only lives here on the weekends! Truth is, I'm a lightweight and it doesn't take much more than one gin and tonic to get me giggling at nothing. I managed to drag myself back up the stairs to our floor where my two hungry boys were waiting for dinner. I needed something fast and simple that didn't require any knife skills!

Having a jar of roasted red peppers to use up, I hit up Google for a tasty recipe and the above colourful delight graced our table in no time. It was quick, simple and delicious. The recipe called for basil leaves but having only spinach in the fridge I used them instead.

Recipe

Baked Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers and Spinach
adapted from inspired taste

serves 4

4 chicken breast, cut into smaller pieces
1 jar roasted red peppers, cut into smaller pieces if whole, reserve liquid
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and stems removes
1/2 cup orange juice
freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
Arrange chicken pieces, roasted red peppers and spinach in your baking dish, starting with spinach, then chicken then peppers repeating until the dish is full.
Pour over the reserved liquid from the jar of red peppers and the 1/2 cup orange juice. Top with black pepper.
Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Serve with mashed potatoes to soak up all the cooking liquid.

This is such a simple, quick and easy supper dish. The basil would give it a whole other flavour and I look forward to trying it that way, however the red peppers are strong enough to flavour the dish on their own and it didn't lack for the substitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment